Want to give your daily diet a boost? Looking for food to help you with that? Do your body a favor by throwing these natural superstars in your shopping basket named “Superfoods”.

Yes, these are as super as Superman. Saving you from diseases by fighting them for you, just to ensure your better health and blesses you with the long life.

The term “Super Foods” refer to the foods that offer superior nutritional benefits. They essentially contain higher than average quantity of nutrients. By nutrients I mean vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, essential fatty acids etc.

These nutrients are believed to bring many amazing health benefits. From improving digestive health to minimizing the signs of age. So, to put it simply, your body would need them (to be super healthy) and you will love them (they taste really well).

Some of the Superfoods

1. Broccoli

2. Berries

3. Quinoa

4. Green tea

5. Beans

6. Yogurt

7. Grapefruit

8. Chocolate

9. Tomatoes

10. Spinach

11. Flax Seeds

The list is quite big though but I have specified all the well-known superfoods.

Now, let’s talk about the health benefits of these superfoods too.

Broccoli

Broccoli is amongst the healthiest. It contains essential vitamins A and C, folic acid too.

It also contains a cancer-fighting agent called sulforaphane. It’s obvious that fresh and leafy green vegetables are usually more flavorful and healthy compared to the frozen varieties of it.

Berries

Strawberries, blueberries, and cranberries are super rich in fiber, vitamins, and phytochemicals (plant compounds). These will help to lower the risk getting a chronic disease.

It is said that berries have such antioxidants that will help your body to curb the stress that comes along with aging.

Quinoa

This South American seed works well as a substitute for white rice or pasta, especially when you are trying to add up more fiber healthy nutrients to your diet.

Quinoa’s properties include

1. Flavorful

2. Easy to digest

3. Gluten free

4. High in protein

Quinoa gives you as much protein as a bowl of rice, without affecting your blood sugar and that makes it perfectly useful for type-2 diabetes.

Green Tea

Green tea leaves contain the compounds epigallocatechin gallate also known as EGCG.

This antioxidant is believed to have several benefits.

To know more about green tea benefits, please read my post on Health Effects of Drinking Green Tea.

Beans

Beans are high in protein and low in fat and are also the good source of potassium, iron, and phosphorus.

They are also rich in fiber which can help lower your blood cholesterol and maintain healthy blood sugar levels.

Yogurt

Yogurt prevents wrinkles. Yogurt eaters will get a dose of animal protein, plus several other nutrients that are found in dairy products.

Yogurt also posses “Probiotics”, which are the friendly bacteria present in the digestive system. This good bacteria helps our digestive system to work efficiently.

Grapefruit

Grapefruit supports clear and healthy skin and can help to lower the risk for many diseases. It may even help with weight loss as a part of healthy diet.

The juice, the pulp, and the peel all provide nutritionally benefited values.

Chocolate

Benefits of chocolate include free radical fighting ability.

These free radicals are the unbalanced compounds created by the cellular processes in our body, especially those that fight against environmental toxins we’re exposed to on a daily basis.

Antioxidants are the compounds that are believed to neutralize free radicals and protect the body from their damage.

Tomatoes

The water content of tomatoes is around 95% and the other 5% consists mainly carbs and fiber.

One medium sized tomato contains only 22 calories. Tomatoes are rich source several vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin K1, Folate.

Tomatoes have health benefits regarding heart disease, cancer prevention, and skin health.

Spinach

Spinach is good for skin, improves eyesight, regulate blood pressure, strong muscles, bone mineralization, and more.

These benefits of spinach are due to the presence of minerals, vitamins, zinc, potassium, iron, pigments, and calcium.

Flax Seeds

Health benefits of flax seeds include

Rich in fiber

Low in carbs

Gluten free

Helps in lowering cholesterol

Helps with the weight loss

Flaxseeds contain anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids with antioxidant substances which helps flaxseeds to make you healthy.