Table of contents:
- II. Our commitment to your privacy
- III. Information we collect
- IV. How we collect information about you
- V. How we use information collected from you
- VI. Sharing your information
- VII. How to access and update your information
- VIII. Links to third party web sites
- IX. Our policy towards children
- X. Security of your information
- XI. Changes to this policy
II. Our commitment to your privacy
- How and why we collect certain information from you via the Website;
- How we use and with whom we share such information;
- How you can access and update such information; and
- The choices you can make about how we collect, use and share your information.
III. Information we collect
A. Registration Information - In order to register for a Website Account, you must provide the following information:
- Your email address (which must be a functioning email address)
- A password
- A username
- A display name
Of these categories of information, we will not share or publicly expose your email address or site password.
B. Additional Information - You may provide us with additional information to make public, such as:
- A short biography
- A photograph that will appear as your profile picture
- Your location (the city and country in which you live)
- A link you wish to appear on your profile, such as your blog or personal website
Providing any or all of this information is entirely optional.
C. Non-Personal Information - We also collect aggregate, non-personally identifiable information about you and your use of the Website, as described in more detail below, including by using "cookies," web beacons, local shared objects, or other types of tracking technology.
IV. How we collect information about you
We may collect Personal Information and Non-Personal Information about you in any one or more of the following ways:
A. Registering Your Account & Creating Your Heart
In order for us to provide you with the ability to collect and post images to a personalized profile page (your "Heart") on the Website, you must first create a user account our Website ("Account"). During registration, you are required to provide an email address and to create a password, a User name and a display name (your "Registration Information").
After you create an account, we give you the opportunity to provide additional information, such as a short biography, a photograph that will serve as a public profile picture, the city and country in which you live and a link to a website (your "Optional Profile Information", and together with your Registration Information, your "Personal Information").
Your Heart is visible to any site visitor and to other users of the site, and will show your display name and any Optional Profile Information you have provided. Your email address will never be displayed.
B. Public display and site communications features
The Website runs a "parade" of randomly selected clickable photographs posted by users on its home page. If a site visitor clicks on one of the photographs in the Parade, he or she will be able to view that user’s Heart, including their display name and any Optional Profile Information the user has chosen to provide. A visitor to We Heart It will be able to view your Heart, but will not be able to indicate their approval of the content you have posted ("Hearting") unless he or she registers an account and creates a Heart of their own.
C. Website interactions
You may be able to take part in certain activities on our website that give you the opportunity to communicate or share information not just with us, but also with other users of our Service. These include:
- Creating your Heart
- Logging in and out of the Website
- Posting images
- Hearting images posted by other users
- Choosing to follow another user's Heart
- Adding tags to images
- Sharing We Heart It's pages on other social networks
D. Cookies and automated non personal information collection
We use a technology referred to as "cookies" (or other similar technology), which are pieces of data on your computer tied to information about you which recognize you as a return user of the Website and help to provide a more personalized experience.
Like most standard website servers, we collect certain types of technical "Non Personal Information", including internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser types, the referring domain, pages visited, search terms internet service providers (ISPs), and the number of clicks. We may also use web beacons, which allow us to know if a certain page was visited, an email was opened, or if ad banners on our website and other sites were effective.
Note that some Advertisements displayed on our Website are delivered through Tribal Fusion, a third party advertising network. When you click on one of these advertisements, Tribal Fusion collects “click stream data” related to your visit to that website. Click stream data is anonymous and can include information such as your IP address, Web pages viewed, the date and time at which those pages were viewed and interaction with content and advertisements on those Web pages. Technologies used to collect this click stream data includes cookies and Web beacons. Tribal Fusion cookies are programmed to expire in six months.
You may opt-out of receiving Cookies from third party advertising networks such as Tribal Fusion through a link to the Network Advertising Initiatives cookie opt-out page, which can be found here. You can also find out how to make these changes to your browser here. If you wish to know more about online behavioral advertising, and how to opt-out of it, please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.co.uk.
E. Third Party Advertisers
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our website. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. Please note that click stream data is anonymous and can include information such as your IP address, web pages viewed, the date and time at which those pages were viewed and interaction with content and advertisements on those web pages. Technologies used to collect this click stream data include cookies and Web beacons.
You may opt-out of receiving Cookies from third party advertising networks through a link to the Network Advertising Initiatives cookie opt-out page, which can be found here. You can also find out how to make these changes to your browser here. If you wish to know more about online behavioral advertising, and how to opt-out of it, please visit www.youronlinechoices.co.uk.
V. How we use information collected from you
We may use Personal Information and Non-Personal Information collected from you in any one or more of the following ways:
A. How We Use Your Personal Information – the Personal Information we collect may be used as follows:
- To register and service your Account;
- For our internal records, tracking and business purposes;
- In order to contact you to respond to your questions or requests or to provide you with technical support;
- To provide you with information regarding changes to the Website which may affect your Account, your use of the Website, and/or the products and services available through the Website;
- To customize advertising that may be visible to you on the Website; and
B. How We Use Your Non-Personal Information - Non-Personal Information collected from you is used for various purposes, such as:
- To improve our products and services;
- To customize the user experience of the Website;
- To administer the Website;
- To analyze trends, track user movement and gather statistical information for aggregate use; and
- To customize advertising that may be visible to you on the Website.
VI. Sharing your information
A. The information included on your Heart will be visible to all users and all visitors to the Website. In addition, your information may also be shared as follows:
- Safety, Security and Compliance with Law: We may disclose any information, including Personal Information, we deem necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to enforce our rights or to protect the safety and security of our Website or other users.
- Business Transfers: In the event We Heart It undergoes a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, we may transfer your Personal Information to the successor organization in such transaction. If material changes to We Heart It's privacy practices will occur as a result of the business transition, We Heart It will attempt to notify you via email and will post a notice on the Website alerting you to the business transition prior to transferring your Personal Information so that we can elect whether to delete your account.
- To Service Providers Performing Services on Our Behalf: We may contract with third party companies to perform services on our behalf, including marketing assistance, e-mail delivery, hosting services, customer service, and data analysis. We require any third party service providers to maintain the confidentiality of the information disclosed to them and are not permitted to use your Personal Information for any purpose other than to provide services to We Heart It.
VII. How to access and update your information
A. You can access and update the information that you have provided to We Heart It as follows:
- You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request to review, amend or delete your Personal Information collected by us, and/or request us to cease collecting Personal Information from you in the future.
- If you have created an Account, you may review and make changes to certain of your Personal Information and Non-Personal Information by logging into your Account and updating your Account profile.
VIII. Links to third party web sites
IX. Our policy towards children
A. This Website is not intended for children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from such children. Children under the age of 13 should not use our Website or our online services at any time. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently gathered Personal Information from children under the age of 13, we will use reasonable efforts to erase such information from our records.
X. Security of your information
A. We implement reasonable administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect the security of your information both online and offline, and we are committed to the protection of customer information. In general, our business practices limit employee access to confidential information to those employees we reasonably believe need such information do their jobs.
B. Your User Account information is protected by the password you use to access your online account. It is important that you protect and maintain the security of your User Account and that you immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your User Account. If you forget your password, you may request a new password here.
C. While we take reasonable precautions against possible security breaches of the Website, no website or Internet transmission is completely secure, and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss, or other breaches will never occur. We urge you to take steps to keep your Personal Information safe (including your User Account password), and log out of your User Account after use.
XI. Changes to this policy